UNISONActive is an unofficial blog produced by UNISON activists for UNISON activists. Bringing news, briefings and events from a progressive left perspective.

Friday 4 October 2013

US Government shutdown puts workers in fear of the breadline

This week’s US Congress budget blocking tactics by right wing Republicans to defund the Affordable Care Act has led to a partial government shutdown and over 800,000 public service workers being laid off without pay. Karina Vazquez, a SEIU member cleans government offices at the IRS building in Washington, D.C and says:
    "I'm worried because without work how am I going to look after my family? Every paycheck I get goes to paying bills, cards or food. The worst thing that I fear could happen to me is not being able to pay for food and rent. If the Republicans want to play games to stop the healthcare law, it's wrong for them to affect me and my family with them. I am asking them to stop"
http://www.seiu.org/2013/10/shutdown-story-how-am-i-going-to-look-after-my-fam.php#more